Friday, September 01, 2006

September Morn


Ah, it is September! The weather here in southeast Texas is finally getting cooler which in turn brings out all sorts of changes in my mood. It is also the cusp of a long Labor Day weekend. Thank you unions!

My new vegetable garden has moderate results right now. Most of the radishes I planted are coming up and the carrots have little sprigs. I also have one collard green sprout and one cabbage sprout. But the lettuce, arugala, and spinach? Nothing. Perhaps I planted the seeds too early...it was a very hot August. Perhaps they were bad seeds. I got them from the sale rack at Home Depot. Perhaps they needed to be started indoors in a more gentle environment.

This weekend I'll go buy some more potting mix and start new seeds in my newspaper cups that I made with the until-now-unused Baccarat crystal tube vase we received as a wedding gift.

I also need to plant something in our front yard "bed" next to our entryway. It is only about 1.5x3 feet so a large plant may be out. But how crazy would it be to grow veggies there too? I suppose it can't be any worse than the weed garden that was there before.

No comments: