Wednesday, August 30, 2006

As You Like It is one wacky tale

I'm in the process of reading Charles and Mary Lamb's Tales From Shakespeare in an effort to learn more about the Charlotte Mason theory of homeschooling. (Yes, I am researching homeschooling options for our yet-to-be-born child.) She advocated introducing young children to Shakespeare's storylines several years prior to studing Shakespeare's plays. The idea is that once you know the story, the antiquated language is easier to follow so kids don't really percieve it as impossible to read. Sort of a preemptive Cliff's Notes for kids.

So last night I finish the story version of As You Like It and I have to say that I forgot how convoluted and off the wall that plot was. I was a theatre major in college and ended up reading most of Shakespeare's plays but I must have been cramming the night I read that one. Dress up scenes, feigned romances, gender bending, and wilderness life, oh my! I couldn't help but think that Orlando's act of posting poems and messages of his love for Rosalind on every tree available was early blogging at work.

Link

No comments: