It's been a week of mild nausea and reading about classical homeschooling for me. While I've been watering the vegetable garden and adding to the compost pile, I really haven't been seeking simplicity in any way, shape or form. I'm beginning to wonder if the title/subject of my blog is actual or aspirational. I suppose only time will tell.
I did have my initial doctor's visit this week which actually wasn't with a doctor. I gave a thorough medical history to his nurse practitioner and left with a backpack filled with books, pamphlets and coupons courtesy of Enfamil formula. Let the commercialization of motherhood begin!
Holding the peanut in my belly has reignited my interest in homeschooling techniques. I found a copy of The Well Trained Mind in the library where I work. I read it cover to cover and am now skimming it again. After exploring Charlotte Mason, Montesouri, unschooling, Enki, Waldorf, and other homeschooling approaches, the classical approach certainly seems the best fit with me. It is academically rigorous without losing sight of the fact that kids need to be kids. The authors argue against sending kids to college early or pushing them to be academic giants. Their focus is on using the trivium (grammar, logic, rhetoric) to teach kids how to think and learn.
Of course, before I start to teach the kid how to read, I need to first go through pregnancy and birth. Always getting ahead of myself!
No comments:
Post a Comment