Monday, March 23, 2009

Lucy Ricardo Goes Green

Note to self: do not, I repeat, do NOT turn your compost pile on a windy day. Especially if you have fire ants in one corner. And shredded newspaper on the top. Good news is that I was a bit of comic relief for the workers on my neighbors roof. Better news is that my pile is composting well. Best news is that I'm now a little more motivated to keep composting.

3 comments:

Josh Russell said...

Are you jealous to hear that for my 40th birthday I got a dee-lux composter? That was late November, and since then I've been mixing peelings and coffee grinds and leaves, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to add newspaper. Any hints? Now we need to get the garden growing. First, I'm told, I need to, like, dig up the dirt?

Susan said...

Wow! What a fantastic gift (happy belated birthday by the way). As for newspaper, I strongly recommend shredding it with a shredder. Hand shredding or cutting just isn't the same. The smaller strands don't clump as much and seem to decompose faster.

As for the garden, just go for it! Lettuce has been an easy winner for me and would be a great place to start growing your green thumb.

Rosslyn Elliott said...

I have to state my admiration for the title of this blog post. What an image!

:-)