While leafing through the pretty seed catalogues that I ordered, I was tempted to go hog wild with planting large and bizarre crops and turn my entire back yard into something like this urban homestead. When it comes to gardening though I think slow and steady is the best approach for me.
So I've selected a few peppers, tomatoes and okra seeds to add to my stored seeds of beans, squash, lettuce, spinach and collards. I've also got quite an extensive herb list including chammomile for tea! I've never grown tomatoes or peppers from seed before (both are notoriously difficult for a beginner) but I figure even if I fail and need to buy seedlings from the nursury in a few months, I'll only be out a few bucks for the packets of seeds. I found a seed starter tray at the dollar store this week for $4 (which was about $12 less than the catalogue version).
Today Xavier and I planted some collards, lettuce, and spinach in my square foot garden bed. He was fairly stubborn about digging up any and all seeds I planted until I gave him the "magic watering can." Instantly he went from tantruming toddler who didn't understand why mommy was ruining all his fun, to a perfectly wonderful little helper.
So far, the running total for Garden 2009:
Expenses: $4.00
Yeild: zip
No comments:
Post a Comment