Last Friday I made my very first panicked phone call to my pediatrician's office. It all started when I decided to dress up a bit to bring Xavier down to campus to visit with Dad at lunchtime. Instead of my very practical black mary jane flats I put on my styling brown mary janes with the three inch stacked heels. I like to make sure I'm one notch above student when it comes to heading down to campus.
Anyway, Dad had to cancel on us at the last minute and we came back home. Xavier was hanging out on a blanket on the floor in the living room and I was sitting on the floor eating a ham sandwich. Having finished my sandwich, I decided to help Xavier practice sitting up. As I swung my leg up and over the babe to straddle him, he lifted up on his arms, and I struck him squarely on the head with that blasted stacked heel.
The crying was heartbreaking. He had a scratch made visible by his cradle cap that went from the side of his head and across his front soft spot. A bit of nursing managed to calm little Xavier and I tilted him from side to side to make sure his eyes were dilating equally.
I was fairly certain that everything was okay but decided to call the pediatrician's nurse anyway. I was worried about the soft spot and I didn't want to head into the weekend without getting a little reassurance. As I waited to speak to the nurse, I was debating whether "I kicked him in the head" or "I hit him in the head with my shoe" were less likely to get me reported to child protective services.
The nurse was very understanding. After confirming twice that Xavier didn't FALL, she told me to watch his eating and sleeping habits and take him to the ER if anything changed significantly for the worse.
Needless to say, it is Monday now and Xavier was fine all weekend. Of course this afternoon he decided to headbutt me in the teeth while I was laughing. Yet another scrape in the cradle cap. No crying this time though.
1 comment:
I couldn't resist commenting on the humility it must have taken to admit this. Glad he was ok. Sounds like the headbut may have been retaliatory on Xavier's part.
Post a Comment