Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why Haiti, Why Now?

I've been pondering an economic question posed by a dear friend of mine lately. She wondered with all the major economic troubles the US is facing right now that have the propensity to affect the lives of future generations of Americans, should we really be spending so many Federal dollars on Haiti relief right now--in a nutshell can we afford it.

I think it is important to mention that this friend ranks among one of the most compassionate loving people I know. For her this is a sincere question, not a political parlor game. And I share her concern about the structural deficit this country faces right now.

[For a great non-partisan and recent discussion about the deficit, see this NPR interview with former GAO chief David Walker about his new book Comeback America: Turning the Deficit Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility]

At first pass I could only speak from my heart: Haiti is suffering. Jesus said to care for the poor but also that the poor would be with us always. I know that I am called to help not to cure--for there is no human cure to all material suffering. But there is a spiritual realm that can be served on both sides with charitable works. To paraphrase Xavier's godfather, I am my most liberal when I am being a mother.

But the intellectual in me knows that this is an argument for an idividual or at most a corporation or community. It calls me to action. Despite the many voices otherwise, this is NOT a Christian country. It is influenced culturally and intellectually by Christian tradition but at its core it is a secular nation. I cannot honestly say that the national government is always called to the same level of virtue that a Christian individual is. But at the same time I'm too blinded by my own emotion to be comfortable with the ramifications of this.

In mulling over this conundrum with my husband over dinner he (ever the pragmatist) pointed out some very sound practical considerations to justify a large government expenditure on Haiti relief efforts.

  1. Haiti is our close geographic neighbor. If they fall into complete chaos we will have a huge influx of folks floating over on innertubes and whatnot clogging our social services, prisons, tying up our Coast Guard, etc. It is in our interest to keep Haiti livable.
  2. The amount we will spend in Haiti is miniscule compared to the deficit issue.
  3. We would be publicly shamed on the world stage to ignore Haiti--China and Israel in particular have made huge and swift physical and monetary contributions to relief. This would hamper our future negotiating position with many countries on other issues particularly given our proximity and relative wealth.
  4. Should Haiti fall in the hands of chaos it will become a safe haven a la Afghanistan for terrorists--only this one would be withing boating distance of our ports.
  5. When we give aid to Haiti, we don't just write a check. It boosts commerce here at home. They need to buy tractors, communications equipment, food, etc. There is a financial kickback effect to our aid.
  6. Finally, part of our greatness in the world community IS our historical committment to humanitarian efforts, for fighting for just causes. To lose that now would be pennywise and pound foolish.

Now, I don't claim that these arguments are irrefutable (I'm sure Rush Limbaugh would have some choice words for me) but they do seem a bit more palatable than my "because Jesus said so" to the general American public. Of course in all of this it is worth recognizing the huge amount of personal and corporate donations that have been flowing into Haiti relief as well.

In the end, I think I am back where I started. I still feel too emotionally bound up to make a purely intellectual case for federal aid. Today are the days that I'm happy to be just a mother and homemaker and not a politician.

1 comment:

Rosslyn Elliott said...

I really appreciate your thoughts on this issue! I *always* like to read any thoughtful opinion on a difficult subject. Now I will have some balancing counterarguments as I consider the issue myself.

I would like to know more about China and Israel and their contributions.