Friday, July 25, 2008

Can You Hear Me Now?

I'll admit that in the past I often talked on my cell phone while driving. I knew it wasn't ideal but the commute to and from work was boring and a good time to catch up with friends and family. Besides, with all those free nights and weekend minutes who could resist?

After we switched to a minimal Tracfone plan to use a cell phone only when travelling, I started to notice how many near accidents involved a driver on a cell phone. In my personal experience, risky drivers who swerved into my lane, ran a red light, or nearly rear ended me were almost always talking on cell phones.

A few months ago I started doing a little online research about the actual risks of driving and cell phone usage. Today's Salon article here does a fairly good round up of all the latest data. Unless you live in one of the states where driving and dialing is now illegal, it is up to you to decide how much of a risk you want to take. But please consider this post my official request to all friends and family not to call me while driving anymore. You are too precious to me!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I agree--the truly hair-raising experiences I had when I used to pull out my phone while driving on campus have led me to minimize car-talk. When your arm is raised by your head, it obscures sightlines--including the exact sightlines of pedestrians entering a crosswalk from the left.--K

Laurie Kolp said...

I'm with you. Teenagers are the worst- they will try to text while they drive, or fiddle with the radio- it has fforever changed my life.