Xavier and I attended a precinct captain training session and local grassroots rally for Barack Obama.
The night before I created two t-shirts for us to wear. They were a big hit. Xavier enjoyed getting to meet so many new people. At first he cried a little whenever the crowd began to chant "Yes, We Can." I think he was a little scared. But by the end of the event he was smiling and waving along with the crowds.
It was so inspiring to be in a room of such a diverse crowd of people who were all coming together for a common cause. At one point during the training, we paired off to share personal stories of why we were supporting Obama's campaign. No two stories were alike but what seemed to be a throughline was that he was a face of a movement to cut through partisanship and devisive politics to bring a new era to American government.
Between the training session and the rally, Xavier and I left to go grab a bite to eat. When we came back, about half the folks in the room cooed and said, "Xavier's back!" It was as if he were Norm entering the Cheers bar. I have a feeling for the next three weeks, I'm going to be known as "Xavier's Mom" at campaign headquarters.
Even the local news crews weren't immune to Xavier's inherent charm. Check him out at the end of this clip: http://setxhomepage.com/media_player.php?media_id=5794 .
2 comments:
he's a one man political action committee! what a cutie!
go obama! go xavier and susan! lola brought georgia--now the little guy's got to bring texas! :)
Post a Comment